The only blog not featuring an ipod.

Tears

Today I was treated to a really great dinner, some good steaks and wine, and above all nice chat. It was all on the ocation of a great friend of mine's defense of her marvelous thesis on long term effects of pre-natal exposure to toluene on mice.

A moment came when, talking to her father -a marvelous person, tears came to the rim of my eyes. Two stories of sorrow he told, a past one and a present one. Of the past one I'm sure we've all have heard and here's a song on it which I love (sorry.. the best I could find on the tube).




And the present story, the one that really hit me was about the present condition of his beloved country. It was a story which we really musn't be unfamiliar with, he spoke of a world that is our world, of a ruin that is our ruin. He spoke of greed in everyone's mind, of a sole goal in everyone's agenda, that of making money, regardless of what it implies. And then, just then, someone besides me said that "it is understandable that someone wants to climb up the social ladder as long as he doesn't step on others" and then, just then, it was all so more clear.

I cried, because it's that view, that sort of comments, that imply that everything is fine, that a social ladder must exist, that we must climb it, that sort of view of the world, the view that most people arround me have. Oh... climb the social ladder without stepping on others... how foolish, that is simply impossible in this system, impossible. Oh, having a better life with iPods and internet and automobiles and private schools, without stepping on someone else it is impossible. And when I say impossible I do not mean very hard, I do not mean unrealistic, I mean impossible, because money doesn't grow in trees, because what a single person, who ever it is, produces in a month is far from enough to buy an ipod.

It made me cry.. such a country, such a future it could have had, and there were those who said "I have the right to posess all I want" and now what has it come to?, after they took to the streets with tanks and bombs, after they killed and tortured, now it is their ideas wich prevail, it is their ideas in the minds of all that allow for such a rampage on nature and such a rampage on other humans.

DO NOT FOOL YOURSELF.
DO NOT ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE FOOLED.
READ, UNDERSTAND, AND YOU WILL COME TO SEE.

No comments:




Alguien me habló todos los días de mi vida al oido, despacio, lentamente. Me dijo: ¡vive, vive, vive! Era la muerte. (JS)